This cake helped me during times of crisis. This is an adaptation on the wonderful recipe by Ms Savill. It’s dense & dark with treacly undertones. I threw in some crystallized ginger for added gingerness.
3/4 cup rice flour
2/3 cup buckwheat flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tbsp mixed spice
1 tsp crushed cardamom
6 tbsp (dairy-free) margarine
1/4 cup soft brown sugar
2 tbsp black treacle (molases)
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 organic egg, beaten
2/3 cup natural yoghurt & a splash of soy milk
1/4 cup crystallized ginger, chopped
1. Pre heat the oven to 170 c/ 325 f/ gas mark 3
2. Sift all the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl
3. Put the margarine, sugar, treacle & syrup in a saucepan and warm over a low heat until everything has disolved.
4. When the mixture has cooled, beat in the egg. Pour this mixture into the flour.
5. Add the yoghurt & soya milk and beat to form a smooth batter and mix in the chopped crystallized ginger.
6. Pour into a greased tin and bake for 1 1/4 hours.
This cake can be kept for a week in an air-tight container.