Chocolate banana cake (gluten-free)
Every Sunday there’s a fantastic car boot sale selling huge amounts of cheap fruit & veg – this week’s bargains include 3 honeydew melons for a pound, 2 super-sweet pineapples for a pound, and about 30 giant bananas also for a pound. Along with loads of delicious fruit salads, banana cake was on the agenda.
Apart from the chocolate, this recipe doesn’t include any fat. A healthy cake with a moist texture.
1 ripe banana, mashed
200ml apple juice
2 tbsp lemon juice & rind
1 organic egg, beaten
1/3 cup rice flour
1/3 cup corn flour
1/3 cup millet flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
¼ cup 70% dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1. Preheat the oven gas mark 5
2. Mix the mashed banana with the apple juice, lemon juice & rind. Add in the egg.
3. In another bowl, sift the flours, sugar & baking powder together. Combine together with the wet ingredients.
4. Add in the chopped chocolate & cocoa powder & mix well.
5. pour into a pre-greased tin and bake for 40mins or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
I used bicarbonate of soda as I had run out of baking powder and it came out too sappy, and it fell apart when I tired to remove it from the tin :o(