No eggs in the house & an urgent need for cake…this was my second vegan cake baking attempt. These dense little cupcakes remind me of those sassy-sours jelly beans & fizzy lemon sherbet sweets…yum!
Cup cake mix (makes 6)
1/3 cup rice flour
1/3 cup gram flour
1/3 cup potato starch
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup golden caster sugar
1 tsp ground cardamom (optional)
1/3 cup sultanas
1 tbsp grated lemon rind
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/3 cup soy milk
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 tbsp icing sugar
Flaked almonds & strawberries to serve
- Preheat the oven 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Combine together the flours & baking powder, stir in the sugar, lemon rind & sultanas, and cardamom (if using).
- Mix together the lemon juice, soy milk & oil.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients & combine to form a smooth batter
- Pour the batter into 6 muffin cases & bake for 20-25 mins.
- Meanwhile, make the lemon icing. Mix together the lemon juice with the icing sugar, and drizzle over the top of the cupcakes. Once cooled, sprinkle with flaked almonds & strawberry slices.