I’ve gone a bit moon cake crazy this week since getting my new mould! I wondered if gluten-free variety would work…these filled gingerbread are an unusual take on this traditional pastry, they came out more crumbly like a cookie. Never the less a tasty treat, and fun to make.
Crumbly Gingerbread Moon Cookies (Gluten Free)
1/3 cup molasses
¼ cup margarine
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
1 large free-range egg
2/3 cup glutinous rice flour
2/3 cup maize flour
2/3 cup potato flour
2/3 cup cornmeal
2/3 cup soft fudge (see fudge filled moon cake recipe)
¼ cup ground almond
¼ cup desiccated coconut
2 tbsp finely chopped crystalized ginger
Combine all these ingredients together.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4
- In a large bowl, combine the molasses & margarine, and then melt them together in the microwave. Allow to cool, then add the sugar, baking soda, spices, egg & all the flour
- Beat with a wooden spoon until well combined. Knead the dough onto a floured board, adding extra flour until it forms a ball that can be easily handled. My dough was quite sticky so I ended up adding about ¼ cup extra cornmeal.
- divide the gingerbread dough into small balls, flatten & place a teaspoon of filling in the center. Pinch to close & place into a moon cake mould. pat down, then knock the mould to remove the moon cookie.
- Place on a lined baking sheet & bake for 20minutes. Allow to cool before eating