I attempted to make a healthy version of this dessert by using yoghurt instead of cream. The result was light but satisfyingly delicious. I like my tea milky & sweetened with honey, so I decided to create a rooibos flavoured creamy wobbly thing. I also made some chocolate brownies to accompany this dessert. I couldn’t believe how simple the recipe was!
Rooibos Panna Cotta (makes 4)
1 ½ tsp powdered gelatin
2 tbsp water
¼ cup honey
2/3 cup soy milk
1 cup yoghurt
1 rooibos teabag
½ tsp vanilla extract
Ground cinnamon for dusting
- In a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over the water. Let stand for 5 minutes until dissolved
- In a saucepan, stir together the honey & milk. Add the teabag and heat gently until hot but not boiling. Remove the teabag and add the vanilla extract & gelatin and stir well.
- Remove from the heat & whisk in the yoghurt.
- Pour into 4 ramekins or teacups, and refrigerate for 3-4 hrs or until set.
Chocolate Almond Brownie fingers (makes about 12)
30g dark chocolate (70%)
40g ground almonds
- Pre heat the oven 180C/ Gas mark 4
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave
- Meanwhile, beat the egg with the sugar. Allow the chocolate to cool before mixing into the egg & sugar. Finally add the ground almonds & fold to combine.
- Pour into a pre greased small loaf tin & bake for 12-15 mins.
- Allow to cool slightly before removing from the tin. The brownie is easier to slice when completely cooled.