I’ve yet to master the yeast-free gluten-free bread recipe but this was a good attempt. These mini bagels are great toasted and don’t fall apart when sliced (unlike my various brick-dust attempts). Poaching them in a molasses solution gives them an authentic bagel-ly glaze. Although I haven’t tried agave syrup, I’m sure it can be used in place for the molasses.
Gluten Free & Yeast Free Mini Bagels
1/3 cup potato starch
2/3 cup tapioca flour
½ cup sorghum flour
½ cup rice flour
1 ½ tsp xantham gum
½ tsp baking powder
¼ cup oil
½ cup water
1 tbsp ground flax soaked for 5 mins in 3 tbsp boiling water
1 tbsp molasses + 5 cups water for poaching
Seeds & kosher salt for sprinkling
1. Preheat the oven 210C/400F/ Gas mark 6
2. Sift together the flours & dry ingredients
3. Add the oil, water & wet flax and mix thoroughly until you have a thick moist dough.
4. Divide the dough into 6 equal sized balls, flatten slightly & poke your finger in the centre to form a ring.
5. Place the water & molasses in a large cooking pot and bring to the boil.
6. Place no more than 3 bagels in the pot and poach each bagel for approx 1 ½ mins each side. Remove with a slotted spoon & place on a lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with seeds & kosher salt.
7. Place in the oven & bake for 10mins, turn them over and bake for a further 10mins.