Matcha Swiss Roll with Quark & Pistachio
My significant other is Irish & we pop over to the Emerald Isle on a regular basis. I am fully aware of the Irish love for creamy cakes and all things green. What better way to celebrate St Patrick’s Day with a green creamy roll, all washed down with a glass of Guinness?
I decided to fill my roll with quark & pistachio as a healthier option to whipped double cream. This roll is really simple to make and very light & lovely. My cake was a bit thin on the quark as I’d had a bit of a kiwi sauce dissaster so was a running low of the stuff. You’d need about 3tbsp for good coverage. If you’re not keen on the sour taste of quark, sweeten it with a tsp of agave nectar.
Matcha Swiss Roll (Gluten Free)
1/8 cup sugar
¼ cup potato flour
¼ tsp baking powder
½ tsp matcha powder
1. Preheat the oven 200C/400F
2. Using an electric whisk, beat the eggs, sugar and matcha until light & pale.
3. Sift in the flour and baking powder, fold to combine.
4. Pour onto a baking sheet lined with oiled baking paper or a silicon baking sheet. Spread out to form a rectangle.
5. Bake for 10mins. Remove from the oven & sprinkle over a tablespoon of sugar. Place a sheet of baking paper on top & flip over. Peel off the first baking sheet & cover the cake with a tea towel. Allow to cool completely before filling.
6. Once you’ve spread your filling, carefully roll up the sponge, pressing down gently. Chill for 30mins before serving.